A great brand strategy for B2B marketing can be the difference between success and failure.
A brand strategy is a long-term plan to differentiate your company in the marketplace and build an emotional connection with customers. In short, it’s what sets you apart from your competitors, and gives people a reason to choose you over them. For example, if we were just to look at the products that a company offers, they may seem identical: same quality, same price point. So why do we choose one over the other? It’s almost always because of how they make us feel; the emotions that a brand evokes.
A great brand strategy is essential for any B2B business looking to succeed in the long term. However, it can be an investment in both time and money – so it’s important to understand what goes into creating a successful strategy.
B2B Brand Strategy Guide to Succeed in the Long Term
Understand what your company’s brand is, and do a deep dive into your company culture to fully understand it.
We’ve mentioned the importance of understanding your brand, but what exactly does that entail? It’s not enough to just have a logo, name, and mission statement—you need to be able to put those things into words.
Begin by asking yourself the following questions:What do we sell?Who do we want to sell it to?*Why would someone want our product or service?
When you can answer these questions, you’ll discover your brand’s identity. The next step is taking a deep dive into your company culture. Your company culture will influence how your staff interacts with current customers and prospects. This can impact how interested people are in working for your company (and staying employed) as well as how interested prospects are in buying from you.
Market research is critical for getting a clear picture of where you are, where your competitors are and how to find your niche.
- Know your competition, including their strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand the needs of target audiences (buyers) in specific markets.
The next step is to identify and analyse any weaknesses or gaps within the market, then determine how you can take advantage of those areas to increase brand awareness.
Descriptive and compelling web copy is critical.
When you’re just starting out, no one has heard of your business. You need to start marketing, and that means creating a web presence. In this article, I explain how to get started with content marketing and how to create a brand strategy that will help you create consistent content.
Many B2B companies don’t have a clear brand strategy in place before they start marketing their products or services online. A solid brand strategy helps you sell your products and services by:
- Establishing who you are as a company;
- Identifying what sets your company apart from the competition; and
- Creating a strong first impression with customers.
Thoughtful and consistent colour schemes, fonts and logos work best when working with a brand strategy.
- A thoughtful and consistent colour scheme has the power to completely change how the public perceives your brand.
- Make sure this colour scheme is carried over into all elements of your brand strategy, from social media pages to advertising.
- An easy-to-read font choice is also an important part of developing a branding strategy. Choose fonts that are stylistically appropriate for your brand, but also make it easy for potential customers to read what you have to say.
- Logos should be simple and memorable—a logo that’s too busy or complicated will be difficult for people to retain in their memory when they’re shopping around for products or services like yours.
Unique brand storytelling makes the biggest impact on consumers.
A great B2B brand strategy is a combination of several factors, but among the most important is the ability to create a compelling story that will stand out and be remembered by prospective clients. The primary goal of any business’ marketing is to ensure that their message gets passed along from one person or group of people to another, so creating an effective marketing message is key. However, in order for your brand storytelling to have the biggest impact possible on your audience and prospective clients, it’s important to keep in mind some simple rules:
- Make sure that your brand story is relevant to your target audience.
- Make sure that your story aligns with the overall ethos of your company and its products
- Ensure that you reinforce key aspects of this story throughout all of your marketing efforts
Branding can help you succeed in B2B marketing
Branding is so much more than just your logo. It’s the story that customers tell others about you when you’re not in the room. When a customer sees your logo, they should immediately feel a gut reaction — either positive or negative — that was caused by previous interactions with your brand. In B2B marketing, this is especially true because people often have to interact with brands several times before making a purchase decision.
So what does it take to create an effective brand strategy? A good brand strategy takes into account all of the following:
- The purpose
- Your promise
- Your personality
Need help? Check out our portfolio today and reach out to get started on your marketing journey with us!